CSV Import allows users to easily create Joomla content items from data stored in spreadsheets and CSV files. When used with jReviews, the powerful review and rating extension that also allows for the creation of more complex structured content items, CSV Import allows for the easy transfer of data from spreadsheets into your jReviews-powered product catalogues, directory listings, contact lists, and more. With or without jReviews, CSV Import is an essential time-saving tool for any Joomla site.
- Import any CSV file, regardless of size or number of columns
- Easily associate CSV columns with Joomla and/or jReviews fields, or simply skip columns that are not needed
- Set Joomla content parameters (such as author, access level, and publish date) globally for all imported content items
- Set global jReviews values all imported content, even if the data was not in your original spreadsheet
- Specify and upload a default image for all imported content items
- Save Import Profiles for future use - very convenient if you are importing data on a regular basis
A Step-by-Step Overview of CSV Import
0The Control Panel
- View and run any of your saved import profiles against a new CSV file.
- Initiate a new import by clicking the New button.
1 Choose CSV File
- Simply point to any CSV file. Note that CSV file must include a header row with column names.
2 Associate CSV Columns to Joomla/jReviews Fields
- All columns from your original CSV are listed.
- Set up the associations between your CSV file data and the Joomla and/or jReviews fields in your site.
- Skip columns in your CSV file by choose the "Ignore" option in the drop-down list.
3 Configure Global Settings for New Content Items
- No need to add Joomla-specific columns to your CSV file: simply set Joomla parameters for all new content items in this view.
- Upload an image file for all new content items. Useful for items such as catalogue entries that have a "no photo" image as a placeholder.
- Set a Joomla and/or jReviews field value globally for all new content items.
4 Review & Save Import Configuration
- Review your import configuration before committing to the import.
- Optionally, save the import configuration profile with a friendly name: this is useful if you anticipate importing content at a later date with a similar CSV file format (you can alter the exact import settings on a case-by-case basis, and resave the import profile or save the altered configuration as a different import profile.
5 That's it!
- A new content item is created for each row in your CSV file (except the first/header row).
- If you saved the import profile, it is now available from the component's control panel.
- All new content items are assigned to the section and category you specify, with the Joomla display parameters set in Step 3.
- Content items can now be edited using the normal Joomla and jReviews edit features.