Hooked is a revolutionary new social channel that allows anglers to locate and share the best fishing spots in Norway, using both the web portal and companion iPhone application.
What were the site requirements?
When our client came to us all the way from Norway, they were looking for a solution to build a location-based fishing portal to help anglers locate the best spots to catch fish in Norway. Their requirements were that users could create multi-media listings describing the best fishing spots and most importantly, could tag them to a very specific rural geolocation. So we knew we would need a powerful CCK, with front-end creation abilities, and an accurate mapping feature. They were also looking for something that would integrate nicely with community software like JomSocial. At HATHWAY, it is our job to analyze these requirements and apply the most appropriate open source software for their needs.
Why was JReviews chosen?
JReviews was chosen to develop the MVC for our client and prove to their investors that the concept could work. In order to custom develop this web property, we expected the development cycle to be at least four times as long and equally more expensive. Core JReviews had about 70% of the features we needed for the initial build of the site, leaving approximately 30% of the features to be custom programmed. As a CCK, JReviews is as good as it gets. Everyone on the HATHWAY tech team loves working with it because of its robust functionality out of the box, and ease of customization. The Geomaps add-on extends far beyond any of the other Joomla CCK’s, making it an obvious choice for this project.
How is JReviews being used on the site?
JReviews is the primary platform in which users can create fishing spots, catch reports, blogs and post tips and tricks for other anglers. JReviews is literally the backbone of the site and provides most of the utility for our users. Our client is ecstatic with the mapping abilities of the site and how the software was applied for such a unique web property concept.
What are the key advantages of using JReviews for your website or business?
The key advantage was being able to take the site to market much faster than if we were to have custom developed the software for our client. This initial build will help them test their features and gain valuable feedback from their target audience, so when the time does come to build a new version from scratch, the improvements will stem directly from their users. Both our clients and our staff were happy with the decision to leverage JReviews as the primary software system for the site.